UPDATE: Version 0.8!
We’ve worked super hard on 0.8 and we’re introducing a considerable amount of additions, changes and fixes – hopefully they’ll keep you entertained for a while! The wait is now over – here’s what’s new.
Resources & Vegetation
Another major change is the improvement of the distribution of underground resources with an advanced noise system which has allowed the removal of magic mines! Yes yes, no more unwanted stockpiles of iron and brimstone, which was the result of simply randomizing the resources you obtain through magic mines. Besides patches of ores on the surface, you can also find veins of the precious resources in the ground and selectively mine the stuff you need.
The Harvest Task
We’ve considerably improved the locomotion of Bricktrons and Corruptrons traveling in groups. They’ll now react in a much more fluid manner when bumping or crossing paths with other units. This allows for quicker reactions, easier building and smoother combat.
Responsiveness has been dramatically improved. Ordering a unit to move or change destination will immediately cause it to interrupt what it’s doing and begin moving. This is a huge help when trying to retreat from a fight.
We’ve made some interesting additions to the combat and rebalanced most of its aspects. The general effect of these changes is to increase the duration of battles. This has the effect of enhancing the importance of strategic positioning which encourages terraforming and building defenses. Slower combat makes it easier for players to maneuver and retreat. Battles are no longer a kill or die situation.
- Archers and Workers can now melee fight! They don’t hit as strong as Knights, but in a pinch, it can turn the tide of battle.
- The health of pretty much everything has been increased, this means units will last longer in combat, structures will withstand attacks for longer, etc.
- Archers can now fire farther the higher they are.
- Right-clicking an enemy while an archer is selected will cause it to move within range and shoot.
- Added move-attack hotkey: Shift + Right-Click
- Archers will no longer friendly fire.
New Brick: Plug Brick
We believe this brick finally links together the wood and brick building block systems. Until now, they existed in a strange equilibrium, but structures can now be built with wood and stone without making compromises.
This new brick really makes building rooves and ramparts a breeze! Yes, I Googled “rooves” to make sure it was a real word.
The visual, feedback and functionality of all the tasks’ handles has been redesigned and improved. Certain tasks such as the landscape are a lot easier to use and understand. It’s now possible to diagonally extend square tasks such as the quarry and circular tasks, such as the clean up and harvest task can now be extended from anywhere on the circle, rather than specific handle points. The feedback on what is included in a spherical volume is now crystal clear and allows users to finetune the tasks’ dimensions.
- Captured shards will generate Wisps and send them to the Home Crystal, encouraging the players to expand and defend their shards.
- Only knights and archers can capture crystals and shards, however workers can stop a crystal from being captured by the enemy.
- In multiplayer, crystals and shards capturing is locked in the first 15 minutes. This encourages people to gather resources and build defenses in the early game instead of rushing and neglecting their bases.
- Wisps of dead Bricktrons will always return to the player’s home Crystal where they’ll automatically respawn after a short cooldown. This solves the meta where players would worry about losing their Bricktrons due to their wisps going to the nearest captured crystal, which could be undefended. It also eliminates the exploit where a player would suicide all his workers and spawn knights in order to rush his opponent for a quick win.
- In multiplayer, you only need to capture your enemy’s Home Crystal to win – the shards aren’t needed for a victory. In singleplayer however, you will have to entirely capture all the corrupted crystals and shards.
- Complete remake of the scoreboard – it’s much sleeker, the feedback is clearer and it supports bigger maps with a larger amount of crystals.
Editorial note; the Wiki will be available first thing in the morning on the 23rd.
- Wisps that are yellow now represent a wisp that can be spawned into a Bricktron.
- The Home Crystal now generates blue wisps over time. Once it has gathered several blue wisps, they will merge into a yellow wisp.
- Captured shards will now generate blue wisps and send them to the Home Crystal.
- Dead Bricktrons will generate a smaller, yellow wisp to the Home Crystal and automatically respawn the Bricktron after two minutes.
- Dead Corruptrons will send purple wisps to their killer’s Home Crystal. Purple wisps are worth as much as blue ones.
- New visual shaders for the wisps to better provide feedback on what state each wisp is in.
New Stockpiles Visuals
Threaded the Voxel Engine
New Map: Orosi Valley
New Map: Riverains
Map Redesign: Plateau Mont-Royal
- Bricktrons can now run while carrying bags, allowing for much quicker construction.
- Bricktrons walk slightly faster while carrying bricks and planks.
- Farther-away trees now look better.
- Trees LOD smoother switch.
- Trees LOD uses less memory.
- Included detailed multiplayer crash/failure logs. This will allow us to better troubleshoot connection issues.
- Invasion has received a balancing run to adjust the gameplay according to the new Wisps system.
- Fixed cases where victory window would not appear in multiplayer.
- Fixed the displayed hotkey for duplicating blueprints. It used to say D, when it’s really ctrl + D. Dirty lying hotkey, begone!
- Fixed Defend Position and Defend Areas being too big for the radial menu.
- Fixed issues where Archers and Knights would take too long to attack nearby enemies.
- Fixed issue where warriors would attack enemies’ bear traps, even though these should be invisible.
- Fixed an issue where explosions wouldn’t break trees. Them some stroooong trees, bruh.
- Fixed issue where Archers could shoot directly through bricks. I know right?
- Fixed issue where corruptrons would attack beartraps instead of triggering them.
- Fixed multiplayer crashes when several explosions happened in short succession.
- Fixed an issue where X-Ray mode wouldn’t update unless the camera was moved.
- Fixed an issue where moving a spawn point in the world editor wouldn’t save its new emplacement in a new game, although it seemed saved in the world editor.
- Fixed an issue where saved games were sorted by day first, then month second, meaning all the 1st of any month were sorted together, 2nd of any months were sorted together, etc.
- Fixed an issue where the Biftron would freeze for a few seconds if the minitron it was about to pick up would die. We tried playing it off as a deep, inner sadness its baby-corruptron was dead, but the QA team wouldn’t let us. :(
- Fixed an animation issue where Bricktrons would play unneeded animations if a block was placed in front of them by another Bricktron.
- Fixed an issue where Corruptrons would try throwing their rocks through bricks, despite having no line of sight.
- Fixed an issue where Knights would lose their formations when asked to move attack as a group.
- Fixed an issue where Bricktrons would continuously try to reach a stockpile they needed, even if it was impossible to reach.
- Fixed an issue where Bricktrons would continuously try to clean rubble on bricks they can’t reach.
- Fixed an issue where saving with an Archer set to Hold Fire would stop that Archer from holding fire ever again.
- Fixed a crash when attempting to duplicate built planks and beams.
- Fixed an issue where reflections on assets looked different in X-Ray mode.
- Fixed an issue where archers’ direct attacks didn’t work as expected.
- Fixed an issue where clicking in the radial menu while hovering over the taskbar would break the selection.
- Fixed scenarios where you could have selected Bricktrons while being in Edit Mode.
- Fixed an issue where selecting multiple blueprints and deleting them at once would break handles.
- Fixed an animation glitch where Archers would twitch before they started aiming.
- Fixed an issue where Biftrons would sometimes walk into an occupied voxel.
- Fixed an issue where wisps (aka souls/fireflies) would react to cursor clicks.
- Fixed an issue where stockpiles’ overheads would block blueprints placement.
- Fixed an issue where the blueprints’ shaders showed another blueprint’s sides when it shouldn’t.
- Fixed an issue where Corruptrons would take too long to target enemies after jumping off.
- Fixed an issue where the HP bar would flicker.
- Fixed an issue where Bricktrons would continously try to grab resources blocked by Archers or Knights.
- Fixed an issue where Corruptrons wouldn’t attack a crystal if there were no nearby Bricktrons.
- Fixed an issue where bricks built on invincible voxels (such as near crystals and shards), the bricks became unbreakable.
- Fixed an issue where you didn’t see cracks on bricks when you were in X-Ray.
- Fixed the missing stun animation.
- Fixed a missing cursor feedback when you selected different Bricktron classes at once.
- Fixed an issue where Corruptrons would stop before attacking when they reached an enemy. They now attack while stopping.
- Fixed an issue where jump off would appear when you opened the radial menu on the Bricktron itself.
- Assigning Knights to defend an area won’t put the player in Edit Mode by default.
- Totally just broke the “Fixed an” combo.
- Fixed an issue where detonating two barrels with the same Knight would break the Knight.
- Fixed an issue where you couldn’t drop resources on modified terrain.
- Fixed some errors when hovering cursor above falling trees.
- Fixed several missing audio cues.
Aaaand that’s the rundown of this update! What are you waiting for? Boot up the game and check out the awesome for yourself!